Sunday, February 3, 2013

Phil Mickelson a happy man after year-long title drought ends in Phoenix


Mickelson just missed out on a round of 59 in Thursday's opener and was never headed from that point in winning his first trophy since the 2012 Pebble Beach National Pro-Am almost 12 months ago.
He had to work hard on Sunday with Brandt Snedeker finishing like a train, but he was only able to get within four shots by the end of the tournament.
"It's an important one for me, because it's been a while since I won, been a while since I've been in contention," Mickelson said.
"I played really good golf and I had to fight really hard to fight off a charging Brandt Snedeker, who played great. It's a hard thing to do, to win on the PGA Tour and I'm very appreciative and fortunate.
"I was certainly nervous heading into today. The thing I'm most excited about was the way I was able to regain control of my thoughts after a few shots early on that I didn't care for.
"That sets up the tone for the rest of the year, because I really started to play well. The rest of the year took a turn on Tuesday when I got my new driver. It just changed my whole deal."
Snedeker, second to Tiger Woods at Torrey Pines on Monday, added: "Sometimes you have to tip your hat and say, 'Phil played unbelievable and deserved to win. That's kind of what this week was all about. I'm running into Hall of Famers every week."

No comments:

Post a Comment